It is advised to every iPhone user to back up the existing files to the new phone and wipe and reset your iPhone the personal data and setting from the phone before selling or recycling it. You do not have to manually remove everything because iPhone has such a facility that reset your phone with just a few taps. Keep in mind that if you delete the information while signed in to your iCloud account, it will delete data from the iCloud servers and shared devices signed-in to iCloud.
First, Backup and Transfer Data
First, backup your data to iCloud using your Mac so you do not lose any data and can easily transfer it to your new phone. Connect your iPhone to your Mac and copy your data or use iTunes to back up on any PC.
You can also save your backup using iCloud on your iPhone. Go to Settings and tap on your name at the top of the list. Tap on iCloud > iCloud Backup > Backup Now. It will back up all of your data and take time, depending on the data’s size. You need to connect your iPhone to an internet connection for it to work and do it while there is enough battery in your iPhone.
Secondly, Some Extra Steps
After you successfully backup your data to iCloud, you should follow some more steps before resetting your iPhone.
- Sign-out of all apps and services. Make sure to go through every app or service and log-out of it.
- Remove any saved passwords from the iPhone by going to Settings > Passwords & Accounts.
- Do not forget to remove your SIM card and if you are using an eSIM, then make sure to deactivate it.
- If you have paired any devices like AirPods or Apple Watch, then un-pair them.
- Remove the old device from trusted devices in your iCloud.
- If you are switching to a non-Apple phone then deregister your iMessage by Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage.
Lastly, Reset and Wipe Clean
After you have backed up the data and removed the necessary information, it is time to erase all the data from your iPhone. Follow these steps for easy reset:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to General and scroll down to Reset
- Select the Erase All Content and Settings.
- Give your confirmation and enter your password.
- The screen will go dark, and the Apple logo along with the progress bar will show.
- It will erase all the data from your iPhone, and “Hello” in different languages will appear on the screen indicating the reset success.
Remove your phone from your account by providing the PIN code and Apple ID password. It can also automatically turn off the Find My feature with the reset.
How do I force my iPhone to factory reset?
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
Does a factory reset delete everything iPhone?
Yes, it deletes all the personal data saved on the iPhone that includes installed apps and services.
What happens when you wipe and reset your iPhone to factory settings?
Resetting your iPhone erases all the personal data saved on the phone.