Window Photo Viewer has been the simplest and less memory-consuming software available in Windows, but you may not be seeing it in your new Windows 10. It has been replaced by Photos which takes much memory power. You can still use Windows Photo Viewer in your Windows 10 but it is hidden, and you have to go in and find it to use it.
Many prefer Windows Photo Viewer above the new Photos feature, and therefore we have two methods through which you can revive it and use it any time. If you have upgraded from Windows 7, it is pretty simple because it is still there but buried in your settings. However, if you have downloaded your Windows 10 from scratch for some reason, getting the Windows Photo Viewer back can be tricky and involve some extra steps.
Here we will go through both methods in some simple steps for you.
Upgraded from Windows 7
It is easy to get Photo Viewer back if you have gone through the basic step to upgrade your Windows 10 from 7. When you upgrade, the program stays in your settings for you to use anytime.
- Simply go to Settings > System > Default Apps.
- Here you will see the Photo Viewer option, and it must have Photos listed below it.
- Click on the list and choose Windows Photo Viewer as your new default photo viewer.
- After saving the settings, exit, and now your pictures will display in Windows Photo Viewer.
Newly installed Windows 10
This method is somehow complicated, involves a Windows registry, and you should only do it if you know what you are doing. Editing a Windows registry can be dangerous if you do not know about it beforehand. We suggest proceeding only if you can do this or ask a professional. Windows 10 installed from scratch does not have features from the previous Windows version and, therefore, also does not have Windows Photo Viewer. Here is how you can get it back using a code posted by Edwin on TenForums.
- Copy the above code, paste it into Notepad and save it as a REG file.
- Double click on the .reg file to merge it with your Windows register. It will require giving permissions from User Account control for multiple purposes to let it make changes in your PC.
- Once it is done, you will see Widows Photo Viewer in your programs list.
- Go to Settings > System > Default Apps > Photo Viewer, and select Windows Photo Viewer as your default app to use it.
How do I fix Windows Photo Viewer?
If your Photo Viewer is not working, you can try restarting the program or updating the Photo Viewer. The issues happen mostly if there is a fault in running the program. Restart or troubleshooting will fix it.
Can I download Windows Photo Viewer for Windows 10?
Yes, you can download the Windows Photo Viewer for Windows 10. However, it will require working on a registry, which you should only do if you know about it or ask a professional. You will need to merge the Windows Photo Viewer .reg file to the registry to make it part of your operating system. Follow our guide for more detailed instructions.
Why are photos not opening in Windows 10?
The likely reason could be that the picture files are corrupted, or the Photos program has any underlying issue. You can check the issues by troubleshooting or going to Settings > System > Default apps > Photo Viewer > Photos and click on its advanced settings.