Windows 10 arrived in 2015 and was free to upgrade from Windows 7 just by clicking on a notification prompt. Things did remain the same as the Windows 7 support ended earlier this year, making it unsafe to use and pushing people to switch to Windows 10 finally. If you do not have installed Windows 10 yet, you miss out on many new features, system updates, and better security.
However, people can no longer use the free upgrade version from Windows 7 because that offer ended in mid-2016. You absolutely do not have to worry because there are still ways to download Windows 10 for free without a new license or breaking any law. Here we have a simple and step-by-step guide on how to download Windows 10 for free in 2020.
Step 1: Go To The Official Microsoft Website And Download The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
- Go to your internet browser and type Windows 10 ISO download and click on the official Microsoft website link, which you will see at the very top of the search results.
- Open the page and click on “Download Tool Now,” It will start downloading right away.
- You can see it is downloading at the bottom of the left corner of your browser. If your internet speed is quite good, then it will only take two minutes.
Step 2: Launch The Media Creation Tool And Install
- Once downloaded, open the file. A blue window will open with two options, click on Accept.
- Next, you will also get two options to choose from. Select the second option because we are doing a fresh installation on the PC.
- Next, you have options for language, edition, and architecture. Select your settings from the drop-down menu and click on “Next.”
- Again, you will face two options to choose from, USB flash drive or ISO file. If you choose first and something happens to drive, you have to start all the process from the start. Therefore, select the ISO file option and click on the “Next” button.
- Now you have to save the file on your computer. It has a size of 4GB, so make sure you have enough space on your computer to save it easily.
- After that, it will start downloading and take several minutes to finish depending on your internet speed.
- Once the downloading is finished, select the DVD file if you are using a flash drive, then click on Finish.
Step 3: Download Rufus
- Go to your web browser and search “Rufus download.”
- Click on the first search result, Rufus.ie.
- Scroll down the page and click on “Rufus 3.3”. It will start downloading, and as it is a tiny file, it will only take a minute to download.
- Once it is downloaded, copy it to the desktop for easy access.
Step 4: Insert Your USB Flash Drive
- Insert your empty flash drive into your PC. If you have some data on your USB, better copy it somewhere else because the next step will format it.
- Launch Rufus. A window will open.
- Your USB flash drive should appear on the “device” section.
- Click on “Boot selection,” Here, select the downloaded Windows ISO file from your computer.
- Next, come to the “Volume label” section and set a name. You can type any name or just “Windows 10“.
- After done with the above step, click on Start. You will get a final warning that everything on the USB will be removed and destroyed, so you must clear it beforehand.
- Wait until it is done and click on Finish.
- Lastly, Eject the USB flash drive, and you are done with the process of Downloading and saving Windows 10
Step 5: Install Windows 10
- Insert the installation media, in your case USB flash drive, and restart your computer.
- When your PC starts, you may have to press a specific key, and it depends on your computer’s company. If you have HP, press F9. for Dell PC, press F12. If none of these works, then try F1, F2, F10, F11, or Delete. It will allow the bootable device to change to installation media.
- Once the bootable menu opens, it will show you Network, hard drive and flash drive. Make sure to select the USB flash drive.
- Now you will see the BIOS setup utility, which can have a different layout depending on the PC.
- Go to the “Boot” section or something related. Change the priority of removable devices. Keep the USB flash drive to the first. Next, save configuration and exit.
- Restart your computer, and it will start your Windows installation media. Here you can easily download Windows 10 like any other Windows.
Step 6: Activate Windows 10
- You can keep using your Windows without an activation key, as long as you want. However, if you wish to activate it for free, then follow these steps.
- Go to your browser, type “KMSAuto,” and hit enter. You can download the file from multiple sources.
- Click on the first search result “KMSauto.info” and download it from the page.
- It will be downloaded in a zip file, and you have to decompress it. Just right click on the file and select “extract.”
- Once it is in folder form, make sure to copy it to your same flash drive where you saved the ISO file. Or you can just download it after installing your Windows 10.
- Go to the folder and install the program KMSauto.
- Once it is finished, go to the file and launch it.
- It will show a small window with a big red button, click on it, and it will activate your Windows 10.